Wednesday, March 16, 2016

ITS ALMOST ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

WEARING OF THE GREEN AND THINKING GREEN

Here at the shop, this is the week to show and wear your green!  St. Patrick's Day is on Thursday, the 17th.  My mother's birthday was on March 15th, so we always celebrated her special day with a cake all decked out in green frosting.  She wasn't Irish, but she loved it and got into the spirit of the holiday.   I created the doll in the picture below that reminds me of my mom, who is still an inspiration to me. She's available at www.etsy.com/shop/OakCreekCrafts



Spring always reminds me of my mom.  I can remember one Easter, she sewed a coat, skirt, and blouse for my sister and I, and also for herself.  We all went to church wearing the same colors and prints!  Back in my childhood days, everyone went to church dressed up (modestly, of course).  Today, some people don't seem to care how they dress, or don't even bother to go to church at all.  It's a sad thing to see now days.

Who remembers shows like Andy Griffith (Mayberry) and some of the other vintage TV shows?  People dressed up in their Sunday best to go to the movies, dinner, the theater, and even shopping!  I can recall long bus rides downtown with our mom.  We took the bus because back in the day, we were a one-car family.  You read it right.  One car.  My father took that to his job, and if Mom needed to go somewhere with us, she'd have us "get dressed" and catch the bus to go shopping.

While riding the bus, I recall having to wear little white gloves, along with my patent leather shoes.  There is still something about dressing up that makes a person feel good!  Wouldn't it be great if we could have a National Dress-Up Day?  How about it!?

If you agree, please post a comment.  I don't think we women should always dress like June Cleaver, pearls and all; but once in awhile, wouldn't it be great to do that and also put forth our best manners and be courteous to one another?

Until next time, bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment